EZ stuurbekrachtiging PAS OP !

Lees meer
30-11-2019 10:33 #186128 door Ed van der Zee
EZ stuurbekrachtiging PAS OP ! is gemaakt door Ed van der Zee
Beste mensen, ik plaats hier een verhaal van een vriend inZ-Afrika,. waarin de EZ stuurbekrachtiging tot een levensgevaarlijke situatie heeft geleid.
Al eerder is er een discussie geweest over het verzwakken van de stuurkolom bij montage, deze volvorijder heeft veel geluk gehad en dit had heel naar kunnen aflopen.
Gelukkig is de claxon draad door de speling onderbroken en heeft geleid tot onderzoek waar de onderstaande situatie is aangetroffen.
Boodschap: check je EZ stuurbekrachtiging en wees alert op 'speling'.

Hieronder de originele tekst van Howard

Pictures attached.
We are re-assembling the unit using Loctite to safety the two(2) grub screws and will be retaining my hooter slip ring upgrade.
I put this e-mail together as soon as I could as I believe EZ Power steering must be made aware of an in house issue that they might have with quality control during their assembly process. Please forward to them ASAP.
Due to the sensitivity of this matter you and Ed are the only persons receiving this report.
My objective is to advise the manufacturer and get my client back on the road safely.
Regards/Howard
I have come to the bottom of why the hooter wire kept going to earth within the EZ power steering unit…..
AND …..there could have been a major disaster !!

Initially to get around the problem of the grounding of the internal wire for the hooter within the EZ steering assembly, I fabricated a slip ring on the steering wheel boss and used a spring loaded brush mounted on the fixed steering cowl and the hooter worked as expected …. I e-mailed you a few weeks ago about my problem and you thankfully sent me some pictures of the unit and how the hooter wiring works.

BUT then………

After a while the steering began to get end play (the steering wheel would move in and out by a few millimetres and my brush block would not contact the slip ring…..and the hooter stopped working
I had my client bring his car in and not sure why the steering wheel had end float which I couldn’t react to, I opened the end of the EZ power steering shaft and discovered why the hooter cable initially went to earth followed soon after with end float of the steering shaft which was getting worse and worse.

I discovered the hollow steering shaft is splined to the solid input shaft to the steering gearbox and is held together in a wasted section of the splined solid shaft by means of two(2) grub screws threaded into the outer hollow shaft. These grub screws were loose and in fact the one(1) had damaged the hooter wire ….hence going to earth.

If my client had pulled the steering wheel towards him whilst driving he would have disconnected the two shafts !!!!! losing control of his vehicle.

This is very serious situation and would appreciate guarantees are given in writing that with my next two(2) units which have been ordered are inspected and signed off.

Besides the safety issue, I have spent many hours fabricating slip rings and now discovering a major fault.

Regards/Howard

Ed van der Zee
'67 123GT
'70 164
'71 P1800 E
'72 1800ES
'73 145 Express
geniet maar nooit met mate
Bijlagen:

Gelieve Inloggen of een account aanmaken om deel te nemen aan het gesprek.

Lees meer
01-12-2019 14:33 #186130 door Frans Pars (GAST)
Beantwoord door Frans Pars (GAST) in topic EZ stuurbekrachtiging PAS OP !
Heeft hij ook al een reactie ontvangen van de fabrikant eigenlijk? Kon ik namelijk niet zo uit de correspondentie lezen. Gewoon uit nieuwsgierigheid hoor, kan mij voorstellen met de aantallen die zij verkopen dat het wel een dingetje is namelijk ;-)

Lees meer
01-12-2019 19:08 - 01-12-2019 19:08 #186132 door Ed van der Zee
Beantwoord door Ed van der Zee in topic EZ stuurbekrachtiging PAS OP !
Een van de dealers van EZ is op de hoogte, is inderdaad wel een dingetje...

Ed van der Zee
'67 123GT
'70 164
'71 P1800 E
'72 1800ES
'73 145 Express
geniet maar nooit met mate

Lees meer
02-12-2019 13:26 #186135 door Joop van Putten
Beantwoord door Joop van Putten in topic EZ stuurbekrachtiging PAS OP !
Ik ontdekte na aankoop van mijn Amazon met EZ-powersteering exact hetzelfde probleem. Een paar millimeter ruimte. De garage ontdekte het bij het controleren van mijn richtingaanwijzer die na een bocht niet meer terugkwam. Was inderdaad levens gevaarlijk. Bij mij was een van de stelschroeven verdwenen en de ander zat los. Hersteld met loctite en geen problemen meer gehad.

Ik raad ook alle gebruikers van EZ powersteering aan om direct te controleren op verticale speling van het stuur.

In 1976 reed ik 'm als oude auto, nu als klassieker, de Amazon
www.ruilof-images.nl